250 hours online from your home:
Our online Canine Massage certification course allows you to learn a new profession, from your home, at your own pace. Below is a outline of our 250 hour Canine Massage Online certification course which includes audio, video, and written instruction.
Course Instructor: Nick Scott, C.M.T./L.M.T.
You may register for individual online classes or our full online certification course by clicking below or, better yet, call us at +1-805-640-9798 so that we may assist you with your enrollment process and answer any questions you may have.
Description: This comprehensive canine massage distance learning course provides high quality instructional training in the field of Canine Massage Therapy. You will learn over 20 hands-on massage techniques which, when performed regularly, can greatly benefit the dog and help heal a variety of canine musculoskeletal and physiological imbalances. This program, as in our onsite canine massage program, is focused on therapeutic massage which requires a working knowledge of the dogs anatomy, physiology, common pathological conditions, gait/conformation, nutrition, and behavior. You will gain access to an abundant amount of additional educational resources in this course.
–This course has no prerequisites. The student must have previous experience in handling canines. You need no prior knowledge of massage to take this course and succeed in the canine massage field.
-This online course allows you to learn at your own pace.
-The instructor is readily available to video, or audio, chat with you online in order to answer questions and support your learning process.
-Human massage therapists will find this course to be a great addition to their already existing massage practice.
“I want to convey to you how valuable the Ojai School of Canine Massage course has been in my life. I am now teaching full time at the National Holistic Institute. The time I spent in your course, working with animals, has been invaluable in appreciating the value of energy focused work. Shortly after finishing your course my son’s dog was hit by a car, dislocating his humeroulnar joint. The lessons from your course have been invaluable in his rehabilitation and EASILY paid for the dollar value of the course by easing his path to recovery. I often convey, to my current massage students, the rich lessons to be learned from your course and the many diverse benefits of working with animals. BLESS you!” Edward S.
Organization of the Online Canine Massage course:
This course includes 12 lessons (lesson 12 is optional) which may be completed at your own pace. Upon completion of this course, students are required to demonstrate their knowledge of the hands-on techniques learned. A Skype option may be chosen for those students who are unable to come to the school for the onsite/hands-on demonstration.
Each lesson includes written instruction (with diagrams) explaining each hands-on canine massage technique, including its benefits and any contraindications for the massage stroke. Following the written lecture are hands-on video demonstrations of each massage technique and how to do it on the dog. Following each video demonstration are audio meditations designed to help you focus and relax in preparation for your next lesson. These meditations will help you learn to “tune into” the dogs mental, emotional, physical, and energetic state.
A homework assignment is included at the end of each lesson and is designed to help you learn each technique by practicing it outside of class. It is suggested that you take time to practice the information presented in each lesson, therefore one lesson per week is recommended.
- Provide students with a well rounded education, in canine therapeutic massage, so that they can succeed in the business of canine massage. To prepare the layperson, who just wants to learn more about their dog, learn how to apply professional canine massage techniques on their dog.
- Provide students with deeply relaxing breath and meditation techniques to help promote you and your animals relaxation, and prepare you for the hands-on healing journey.
- Introduce specific canine massage techniques designed to ward off stress and illness, improve flexibility and promote you and your animal companions overall health.
- Gain a new skill or complement your current work with canine massage.
- Experience the transformative effects of healing massage for both you and your canine friends and enhance the powerful bond between you.
- Assess and understand how proper nutrition relates to various health conditions and how to choose the correct diet for the specific dog.
- Help your canine companion, and other dogs, to live a balanced and healthful life and ensure their liveliness and longevity.
Required Textbooks & DVD:
Please click on links below to order. Please allow time for shipping (lesson One of the online course does not require a textbook). One of your assignments will be to “color-in” the Dog Anatomy: A Coloring Atlas, so please do not buy this book used. There is an ebook option for two of the books as well. You can download the Holistic Dog Massage video or purchase a hard copy of the DVD through Amazon.
Total Cost of Books and Materials: approximately $150
Tuition Cost: $1,700 when paid in full.
Students may register and purchase the full Online Canine Massage course or individual lessons. Any student taking the online certification course may opt to finance their education by receiving individual lessons. You can do this by purchasing lessons directly on our website. If paying by check, please call us to arrange a payment plan. You will need to fill out the required enrollment and registration forms before purchasing the course. For those students planning to come onsite, tuition is due in full by the first day of the onsite class.
All students attending the onsite course, in full, will receive the online course (lessons 1-12) at no additional cost. Students opting for the online certification course may also come onsite for all, or a portion, of the onsite course. A daily rate will apply. Total tuitions (for onsite and online courses) will not exceed the onsite tuition cost.
Course Syllabus: A 250-hour Online Canine Massage certification course
Lesson 1– Preparation for Touch/Starting the Journey
- Medical Charting, Contraindications, Animal Handling & Safety, Canine Gait Assessment, Hygiene.
- Silent Meditation Instruction and Hand Energizing video.
- Legal Issues.
** Following each of the lessons 2-8 are hands-on video demonstrations
of each massage technique and how to do it on the dog. Each video
demonstration includes audio meditation’s designed to help you focus
and relax in preparation for your next lesson.
Lesson 2– Canine Swedish Massage
- Anatomy and Physiology (Chapters 1 and 2)
- Swedish stroke definitions and actions.
- Video demonstrations of Swedish massage strokes.
- Meditation preparation and audio.
Lesson 3– Canine Trigger Point Therapy
- Anatomy and Physiology (Chapters 3 and 4)
- Definition and Description of how to apply trigger point therapy.
- Video demonstrations on humans and dogs of trigger point therapy application.
- Sound Meditation description and audio.
Lesson 4– Canine Acupressure
- Anatomy and Physiology (Chapters 5 and 6)
- Description and diagrams of canine acupressure meridian and acupressure points.
- Video demonstration of Tui Na and canine acupressure techniques.
- Taoist Meditation descriptions and audio.
Lesson 5– Canine Myofascial Release
- Anatomy and Physiology (Chapters 7 and 8)
- Definition and description of application of canine myofascial release.
- Video demonstrations of canine myofascial release techiques.
- Mirror Meditation.
Lesson 6– TTouch for Dogs One
- Anatomy and Physiology (Chapters 9 and 10)
- Description of Tellington Touch methods.
- First 11 TTouch technique descriptions, definitions and video demonstrations.
- Breath cleansing instructional video.
Lesson 7– TTouch for Dogs Two
- Anatomy and Physiology (Chapters 11 and 12)
- Description and uses for 8 additional TTouch techniques.
- Additional 8 TTouch technique descriptions, definitions and video demonstrations.
- Pranayama meditations and audio.
Lesson 8– Stretching
- Anatomy and Physiology (Chapters 13 and 14)
- Passive Stretching, Post Isometric Relaxation and Active Isolated Stretching.
- Video demonstrations of Canine Stretching Routines.
- Candle and Dream Meditation.
Lesson 9– Orthopedic Pathologies
- Anatomy and Physiology (Chapter 15)
- Common canine Orthopedic Pathologies.
- Links to common Orthopedic surgical procedures.
- Videos of canine Orthopedic surgeries.
Lesson 10– Business as it relates to the field of Canine Massage.
- Establish a vision. Create a business and marketing plan.
- How to establish a successful Canine Massage business.
Lesson 11– Nutrition
- Learn proper nutritional guidelines for dogs and cats.
- Learn the relationship between pet food, health and disease.
- Learn about dog food ingredients.
Lesson 12 (Optional Lesson)- Hydro and Thermal therapy
During the course, there are open book online quizzes for Anatomy and Physiology. Online quizzes are not timed and can be taken more than once. Students taking only the Online Course are required to schedule a Skype visit, with the instructor, at the end of the course in order to demonstrate the hands on techniques learned (not required for onsite students). There are no required internships or externships in this class.
Students completing all program requirements will receive a certificate of completion from the Ojai School of Canine Massage.
**THERE IS NO CALIFORNIA STATE LICENSURE REQUIREMENT FOR THE SMALL ANIMAL MASSAGE PROGRAM.
“Regular massage is an effective way to contribute to the well-being of animals and help them live in a balanced and healthful way while enhancing the loving, trusting bond between us.”
** Please feel free to contact me if you require help, or if you have questions or feedback regarding the course. Please send email correspondence to Nick Scott at email@example.com. Thank you!